Manny Garcia, executive editor of El Nuevo Herald gives tips on what recruiters look for:
1. Attend conferences like IRE: “This is a business of relationships.” Network, network, network.
2. A diversity of skills will set you apart.
3. Be able to write cleanly and concisely. Editors look for great ledes and great quotes in clips that tell powerful stories.
4. Cover letter: Make sure it’s engaging— editors receive tons of these letters.
5. Resume: Editors are looking for a continued path of growth, how you challenge yourself.
6. We’re looking for critical thinkers, problems solvers, and positive attitudes.
- Arvin, Pacific Daily News